Monday, January 11, 2010

2009 – A Year in Review

1)    Where Is My Mind? – The Pixies

 This is my zoning out in the car song. When I really need to think, but I also really need to have something awesome playing in the background.

2)    I Try – Ben Taylor 

I don’t care if this is a cover of that Macy Gray song. I love it. He has a pretty nice voice.

3)    King of the Road – Rufus Wainwright & Teddy Thompson 

This song reminds me of road trips with my dad, because my dad would always play Roger Miller. But I like this cover, because I like covers, and I like Rufus Wainwright. What a profound statement. Dad and I went to Malaysia in April, so this song sort of reminds me of our epic road trip.

4)    Reason is Treason – Kasabian 

My fondest memory of listening to this song is when I was driving, and this old lady cut me off, and right as this song got to the chorus a cop pulled the offending old lady over. I giggle every time I think about it.

5)    Have A Cuppa Tea – The Kinks 

Let me just say this: I LOVE THE KINKS. This is not their best song… but it’s one of my favorites, because it talks about tea. Actually, a lot of Kinks songs talk about tea, but this one is silly, and I value the silliness. And the Kinks.

6)    Daylight – Matt & Kim 

An awesome song from an awesome person. Hannah Jones, you are my musical soulmate. I just need more of you in my life. Let’s run away together, please?

7)    Don’t Let Me Down – The Beatles

 Since the Beatles Rock Band came out in September and rocked my world (not to mention all of the remastered albums that were released), I heard this song and it struck a chord (no pun intended) and I have had it stuck in my head ever since. As an additional plus, it’s really fun to sing at top volume.

8)    Who’s Lovin’ You  - Jackson 5

 When MJ died, I revisited his music, like the rest of the world. And I discovered that this song just gets me. You dig?

9)    Catch My Disease – Ben Lee 

All I can think about when I hear this song is driving to Chattanooga with Jill for a day of free-spirited fun. I wore red lipstick and ate amazing pizza and spat off of a bridge. Overall, it was a very fulfilling day. There is definitely a video of Jill eating the pizza on FB, too.

10)                  Wilco (the Song) – Wilco

 This song used to play ALL THE TIME at Starbucks (Liz can back me up on this). Wilco has so many good memories attached to them, and this song is just a culmination of those happy feelings, even if it’s not a stereotypical Wilco sound. And it reminds me of the feeling of summer at Starbucks, which isn’t a good feeling, necessarily, but still a feeling.

11)                  The General Specific – Band of Horses 

Every time that this song comes on, I have to stop what I’m doing and sing along. “In time I'd find a little way to your heart, down to the general store for nothing specific / Gonna wash my bones in the Atlantic shore - only for you and me” – I love little lines like that.

12)                  Kids – MGMT 

So, I decide to jump on the MGMT bandwagon. And let me tell you, it was the right choice. This song has some of my favorite elements that are essential to good music: strong beat, a little electronic sound, awesome lyrics, and cool voices. A+, MGMT.

13)                  Alabama – Neil Young 

The first time I ever heard this song, I was on Monte Sano (mount insano!), sitting on the hood of my car with the windows down in my car, and I was listening to “Harvest” and for some crazy reason, I had never heard “Alabama” on it before. And it was a sticky summer night, and I pretended to squeeze the moon between my index finger and thumb, and I thought about all the reasons why I’m who I am. And then I got in my car, drove down the mountain, and had a surprisingly pleasant evening by myself.

14)                  Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going to Be a Long Long Time) – Elton John 

If I were the kind of girl to sing karaoke (which I am), I would sing this song. This would be the moment in the movie where the whole bar starts singing along. With the power of my voice and the grace of Elton John, I could make life like the movies for about 4 minutes 41 seconds.

15)                   Pursuit of Happiness (Nightmare) {feat. MGMT & Ratatat) – Kid Cudi 

Another Hannah Jones Classic. No one believes me when they find out that I am actually a superb rapper. But they should. That really has nothing to do with this song, but you better believe that

16)                  High Speed – Coldplay

 This album has been out forever, but I still love this song. Every time I talk to someone about Coldplay, I have to talk about how much I think Chris Martin’s voice is sexy. Am I a broken record? Maybe. But this song just proves my point.

17)                  The Passenger – Iggy Pop 

After all those commercials for that movie with George “Thinks He’s So Hot” Clooney, this song got permanently stuck in my head. It’s okay, though, because this song is a beast. But not a bad beast, more like a French Bulldog. You know, still beastly, but cute and serious and awesome all at once.

18)                  Where’s Your Head At – Basement Jaxx 

Sometimes, a girl’s just got to have some rhythm in her life. Usually, I am a fan of something a little more complex than Basement Jaxx, but for the conclusion of 2009, it seemed like a perfect fit.

 

2009, you can choke on it. Because I have a feeling that 2010 has my back. 

2 comments:

Liz Medcalf said...

Needs more Beatles... Haha Just kidding! Very nice.

Liz Medcalf said...

AND CHRIS MARTIN'S VOICE IS SEXY!!!!! You are NOT a broken record.